Sunday, January 12, 2014

Commander Keen 3 (Keen Must Die!)

In my last post, I mentioned that Keen 3 starts with Keen going to planet to end this once and for all. The name of the planet is Vorticon IV. The city Commander Keen lands in is called Vortiville. As a hint, Commander Keen can run faster then a Vorticon Woman's fireball, but barely right off the bat. So if you stop suddenly it could still hit you. Although if you can get far enough away from it, you can neutralize it with a shot from your pistol. Below is a picture from the first level of Keen 3, otherwise known as Vortiville.
Commander Keen 1 is the shareware version and is therefor free as I mentioned in my first post. However, Commander Keen 2 (The Earth Explodes) and Commander Keen 3 (Keen Must Die) are not free. They have to be bought for like $15 a piece. Well, they did cost something at some point, but that was when they were on something that was used for electronic storage on computers before they had CD's. By now, you probably could go onto some website and download all three of them in one package. But for me, I just load it onto my computer with what I have. At least it removes the chances of downloading a virus. I have known a few people that have done that. Half of them have downloaded a virus onto their computer more than once. What I have the Keens stored on is called a 5 1/4 floppy disc. By now they are obsolete, heck, they were obsolete before I was born. I still have them lying around somewhere, but it is easier to use the other place I keep them. I have all three of the first three keens on a CD which I can easily throw in any computer and load one of them.The 5 1/4 floppy discs probably were bought by my parents as they were commonly used in their lifetime. But anyways, back to Commander Keen 3. As you you can see at the center bottom of the top picture, is a Foob. (The small yellow guy). I like to call them yellow fluff balls. Just as with the Yorps in Keen 1, I love these little guys and hate to see them get killed. At least with the Yorps you
A Vortikid.
could bump them and they bumped you back. These other guys, one touch and they 
explode. It doesn't even take a shot. The guy to the right, a Vortikid, is what I consider one of the most dangerous creatures in Keen 3. They never seemed so difficult in Keen 2... Anyways, if they touch you they don't kill you, they just knock you over for a few seconds. They most dangerous part about them, is it seems that there is often something more dangerous coming when they knock me over. Actually, quite often it is a Vorticon Woman that is near by and fires a fireball at me, which I'm knocked over so I can't get out of the way of it. You can see one below the Vortikid. Just like Keen 1, there is a secret level, but
A Vorticon Woman.
I won't say anything else, I'll leave you to figure the rest out on your own. The only other thing I want to mention is about the end level and bad guy. Even though most of him is dangerous, there is a specific place you can stand and not get killed. Also you can't kill the Meeps inside the end bad guy. You have to win the level without killing them. Have fun playing it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're the one with The 5 1/4 floppy discs because I wouldn't know what they look like. Great post!

    ReplyDelete